Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
On this second Sunday of Advent, John the Baptist humbly admits that he baptized with water but that Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit. We have been immersed in the waters of baptism and received the Holy Spirit. Are we preparing the way for the Lord by the witness of our lives? May I suggest some simple, ordinary ways of doing this:
- What if we decided this Christmas not to buy all kinds of things, but gave gifts that we could make with our own hands?
- What if instead of buying things, we gave that money to some charity?
- What if we gave our time to baby-sit for a couple so they could have a night out?
- What if we visited a shut-in or went to a nursing home even though we didn’t know anybody there?
- What if we wrote a letter to a long-lost friend?
- What if we called someone on a whim just to say “I’m thinking of you?”
- What if we finally had the humility and courage to make peace with someone over a squabble?
- What if we prayed for the “jerks” in the parking lot and on the highway rather than curse them?
- What if we were a little more patient in the checkout line or even let someone else go before us?
- What if we actually smiled at the clerk at Target or Meijers and said: “Thank you?”
- What if we took the time at Mass to meet one parishioner we didn’t know?
- What if we really listened to the other rather than yell our retort?
- What if we did our chores around home without being- ing told a thousand times to do them?
- What if we did the dishes, took out the garbage, without complaining and put a smile on our face as we did them?
- What if we complained and griped less and sought out the goodness in others?
- What if we turned the TV and the computer off and spent that time with each other?
- What if we gave God some prime time rather than what was left over?
- What if we loved rather than hated?
May your Advent journey 2017 keep you on the right path to Jesus!
Enjoy Advent! Fr.Pat, CSSR